WAYNE COUNTY, OH, June 9, 2021 — As summer approaches so does the delicious taste of Ohio-grown produce! Local Farmer's Markets are springing up everywhere! The fruits and vegetables you buy at a Farmer's Market are the freshest and tastiest available. Look for a Farmer's Market near you at ohioproud.org.
Here are some benefits of shopping at your local Farmer's Market:
- Cheaper Fruits & Veggies - Without the added overhead of rent, executive salaries, and shipping costs, farmers can often charge a lower price for fresher food.
- Supporting Your Local Economy & Farmers - Save money and support your local farmers and small business. When you shop at a Farmer's Market, you are helping to support local growers and their families. The dollars you spend directly impact your local community and allow farmers to continue providing fresh, sustainable produce directly from their farm to your family.
- Fresher Fruits & Veggies - Fruits can ripen fully in the field and are brought directly to you: no long-distance shipping, no gassing to simulate the ripening process, no sitting for weeks in storage. This food is as real as it gets! Fresh from the farm!
- Conserves Fuel - Farmer's Markets offer shorter supply chains with less food handling. Farmer's Market food generally travels less than 100 miles from the field to the market, compared to 1,500 miles through conventional distribution channels.
- A Fun Experience - A Farmer's Market can also have live music & events to enhance the experience.
Article courtesy of the Stark, Tuscarawas, Wayne County Recycling District.