With the winter holidays just weeks away, Ohio residents may want to consider giving gifts that will help family members and friends sustain themselves during the event of a disaster or home emergency. Items to build an emergency preparedness kit can make unique and useful holiday gifts.
“If you’re still looking for a good gift for that hard-to-buy-for loved one, consider giving the gift of preparedness,” said Ohio Emergency Management Agency Executive Director Sima Merick. “This may jumpstart them on the road toward preparedness and could make a huge difference in a disaster or emergency – maybe even save a life.”
Ideas for emergency preparedness gift items include:
- Battery-Powered or Hand-Crank NOAA Weather Radio with Tone Alert
- Battery-Operated or Hand-Crank Flashlight or Lantern with Extra Batteries
- Walkie-Talkies, Extra Batteries
- Solar-Powered Cell Phone Charger
- Combination Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Fire Extinguisher
- Activity Books, Playing Cards and Board Games for Kids (in case the power goes out)
- Water Bottle with Built-In Filter (personal water filter)
- Multipurpose Tool or Swiss Army Knife
- Personal Hygiene Comfort Kit: shampoo, body wash, washcloth, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.
Holiday shoppers may also want to consider giving a winter car kit equipped with a snow brush, ice scraper, emergency flares, jumper cables, shovel, a blanket, and a travel-size first aid kit. For animal lovers: a pet disaster kit with a food and water dish, pet food, bottled water, and a leash or pet carrier.
Over the next couple of weeks, the Ohio Emergency Management Agency will highlight these emergency preparedness gift ideas on Facebook and Twitter.
For additional information on emergency preparedness and winter weather safety, visit ReadyOhio at www.ready.ohio.gov.